Total Pageviews

Wednesday 28 March 2012

A Writer's Story


I’ve always been a writer, always been a storyteller
Yahoo! India 

Meet Suleikha Snyder -  a multicultural romance  and erotica writer living in New York City. 

Born and brought up State-side by a close-knit, traditional Bengali family, she grew up learning Rabindra Sangeet, playing the harmonium and taking part in dance performances during festivals, but was also immersed pretty completely in American culture. So, hand in hand with speaking Hindi and Bengali and knowing how to make chicken curry, she also likes splashy action movies and argue about US politics.

Her debut e-novella Spice and Smoke is out in April, and can be considered to be one of the first romance novellas of its kind that comprise an all-desi cast.

What drew you to writing?
I’ve always been a writer, always been a storyteller. It’s something that’s been with me since childhood. If I didn’t write, I wouldn’t breathe. Basically, I picked up a pen at my annaprasan, and I’ve never looked back.

Who or what are your influences?
I draw my inspiration from all kinds of pop culture and literary sources. I was raised watching classic Hindi films and reading Indian mythology but also watching US soaps and reading romance novels. When you have that much vibrant, rich material being thrown your way, you can’t help but internalize some of it. And never underestimate the power of a good soundtrack! Sometimes I’ll just cue up some songs from Rock On or Om Shanti Om and go! 

Were your parents supportive of your decision?
My parents have always been supportive of my love of creative writing. Of course, navigating the stigma attached to writing romance is a tricky thing, doubly so within Indian-American culture. I’m bracing myself for some inevitable “Hai Bhagavan!” and “Chee!” reactions from the community at large!

Can you tell us about your upcoming book?
Spice and Smoke is a e-book novella about three couples on the set of a Bollywood period drama and the romantic entanglements they encounter. It’s completely fictitious, not based on any real personalities or pairings at all, but it does draw heavily from the real culture of the Hindi film industry. The twist? Four of the characters are gay men in varying stages of comfort with their orientation. In fact, one is married to a woman, and they have a rather liberal interpretation of their marriage vows. When Avi and Trishna come to the set of The Raj, their commitment to each other is tested by what their hearts really want. 

Most romances written by and for western audiences will have a half-Indian hero or heroine, but don’t go 100 percent. It’s my wish to change that status quo! Who says fully Indian characters can’t have the same experiences? Standard disclaimer here: It’s not a story for conservative readers, for anyone homophobic, because you will, more than likely, walk away scandalized and cursing my name! However, it’s my hope that the universality of love will conquer all, and that those who do readSpice and Smoke see that passion transcends sexual orientation, language, culture…everything.

Do you have a particular discipline when it comes to writing?
This is going to horrify writers the world over, but I have no discipline whatsoever when it comes to writing. I don’t sit down every day and bang out a certain amount of words. I don’t outline. I can really only write when I’m “in the zone,” when the words come completely on their own. And that can happen at any time, any place. I’ll frequently start scribbling on restaurant napkins or type up bits of story on the notepad function on my cell phone.
    
Was it a deliberate move to write about romance that are LGBT-centric, or was it incidental?
It was completely incidental! I actually had to laugh when I realized my first two published works featured LGBT pairings, because everything I’ve written since then features primarily heterosexual couples. I don’t set out to write a “gay story” or a “straight story.” I write about people falling in love.

What are the challenges of writing a book?  Is it easier or difficult to write erotica as compared to a regular romance novel?
I very much see myself as a “regular romance” writer. I don’t write erotica as some would define it, because it’s rather tame in comparison to what else is out there. What I do falls somewhere in between romance and erotic romance: There’s an emphasis on relationships and a happily ever after, as well as spicy sexual content. But because I’ve written multicultural romance with gay characters, it’s hard for people to figure out where to “shelve” me. Neither western romantic fiction, nor things like the fairly new Indian Mills & Boon line, have a specific category for what I’m doing. That is certainly a challenge! 

Is writing something sexy difficult? Is writing anything difficult? Of course! Particularly if you imagine a legion of desi aunties finding out what you’re doing!

If your book were to be made into a film, who would you want to essay your characters?
I don’t think they’d make Spice and Smoke into a film! Not without cutting out the love scenes! Can you imagine? Half of Bollywood would get blacklisted for starring in it, that’s for sure. 

Who are your favourite authors?
They run the spectrum, from Stephen King and JK Rowling to urban fantasy author Kelley Armstrong to historical romance writers like Liz Carlyle.  
    
What connects you to India?
Everything connects me to India. My face, my skin, my blood. I’ve never been disconnected from my roots. I have a wonderful extended family, I speak Bengali and Hindi, I know my Mahabharata and my Ramayana. India is in the air I breathe, in every step I take. It’s not an afterthought, or a distant shore.
    
What does India represent for you?
It’s where I came from! It’s my ancestral home.
    
The best and worst piece of advice you’ve received:
I think people have gotten used to not giving me advice, because they know I’ll forget to take it! But, years ago, a dear friend told me to “follow your bliss,” and it’s seldom steered me wrong. 
    
When not working, how do you unwind?
Curling up on the couch with a hot cup of coffee and watching television! I’m particularly obsessed with a Hindi serial called Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? It is the best way to relax; it’s so well written and well acted and a great way to just fly away for a while to some place colorful and crazy!
    
What next?
I’m currently working on the sequel to Spice and Smoke. It’s a traditional contemporary romance with straight characters, though my guys from the first book do feature in supporting roles. It has intrigue, two love stories and all the standard romance novel tropes. I really want to create an expanded universe, where all these desi and non-desi characters can find love… and I don’t want to be boxed in as a writer who only does “this” or only writes “that.” I want to constantly test myself and push the boundaries. Indians, Indian-Americans… we have a place in every genre. Whether it’s romance, erotica, sci-fi or westerns. And I want to do it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment